2012 Lincoln MKT – The 2012 Lincoln MKT continues to be a cult-following crossover that draws in a few fans along with lots of puzzling looks. The styling could hardly be more polarizing. It’s already a big vehicle, but the MKT is brash about its size, from the baleen scale of its huge winged grille, to the arrythmic uptick of the chrome shoulder line that runs forever down its sides, all the way to its abbreviated tailgate. You may also see the Lincoln MKZ Concept for your information.
The base 3.7-liter V-6 isn’t bad or good, it’s just indifferent in the way it gathers speed, especially when it’s laden with the extra few hundred pounds of all-wheel drive. Apply turbocharging to the same engine and the EcoBoost MKT takes flight, with a blast of torque and a pair of paddle shifters for its six-speed automatic that will encourage you to do some silly things with the more than 5000-pound MKT.
The MKT’s ranked well for safety by the IIHS, which calls it a Top Safety Pick, but the NHTSA hasn’t re-scored it beyond a four-star rollover-resistance rating, under its new criteria. But the MKT comes standard with curtain airbags and stability control, as well as parking sensors, blind-spot monitors and a rearview camera.
Priced from the mid-$40,000 range, the MKT isn’t an inexpensive family utility vehicle. This kind of distinction comes at a price, and for the roughly $55,000 an MKT EcoBoost will run you, it’s a standout performer that will stand out for sure–for the better, we think–in the crossover crowd.
2012 Lincoln MKT Performances
- Engine Order Code 99R
- SAE Net Torque @ RPM 267 @ 4250
- Fuel System Electronic Fuel Injection
- Displacement 3.7L/227
- Engine Type Gas V6
- SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 268 @ 6250
- Front Wheel Material Aluminum
- Spare Wheel Size (in) 17 x – TBD -
- Spare Wheel Material Steel
- Rear Wheel Size (in) 19 x – TBD -
- Front Wheel Size (in) 19 x – TBD -
- Rear Wheel Material Aluminum
- Turning Diameter – Curb to Curb (ft) 42.4
- Turning Diameter – Wall to Wall (ft) – TBD -
- Steering Ratio (:1), Overall 17.4
- Lock to Lock Turns (Steering) 3.15
- Steering Type Pwr Rack & Pinion
About the Author: